The Town of York 1837 Model
A scale Model of the Town of York as it was in 1837 is available for viewing at Toronto's First Post Office at 260 Adelaide Street East. The model illustrates street locations and their names at the time as well as the original market, retail and commercial buildings and houses stretching from Lake Ontario up to the northern boundaries of the town to what is now Shuter Street. Clearly evident are the lost rivers/streams that flowed through the area and the market gardens and farmlands which are now home to Cabbagetown South, the Garden District to the west and Corktown to the south east. To link to Town of York Historical Societies webpage on the model, click here.